Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Persimmon Tree, By Bryce Courtenay


I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It managed to totally engage me into the story, and I actually found myself laughing out loud (something I would not normally do!). Although it is a story in which you want to cry, of horrors that should remain unspeakable, I would have to truly say it is one of Bryce Courtenay's better books of late.
The story is set in World War II, Japanese invasion of the Pacific... people running for there lives, and different societies, learning to live with each other. A brief strong love, allowed people to survive a debilitating war, and a strive against the odds to find each other gave success. Cultural influences, mixes, hatred and love create a story when you can't stop turning the pages.
As I have a degree in History, which primarily focuses on World War II, I found many of the facts in the story realistic. I would happily recommend this story to anyone interested.

No comments: